applied learning opportunities are an integral way for students to gain insight into the world of work, explore vocation, and participate in servant leadership. a student can explore everything from accounting to zoology. in career services we view applied learning as having three main components:
- preparation – including finding a site, interviewing, identifying a supervisor, setting goals for the experience and learning how to make the most of their experience
- experience – including working with a supervisor and co-workers to not only develop job skills but to learn about vocational choices and journaling as a part of active reflection
- reflection – including making sense of the student’s experience and what it means for their future vocational choices; implementation of this reflection between our different programs
ultimately, these "co-curricular" experiences will enhance not only our students’ vocational or job choices, but also their academic choices when it comes to decisions related to majors/minors or graduate/professional school. career services provides guidance on finding internship opportunities in a variety of fields through austin college sponsored programs or any one of numerous non-college related experiences.
applied learning: 2017-present: Web Intern, austin college information technology; Summer 2020: Sales Strategy & Planning Internship, McAfee, Plano; Summer 2019: Accounting Assistant, Advanced Foundation Repair, Dallas; Summer 2018: Team Member, AmeriCorps Equal Heart, Dallas.
additional internship opportunities:
- social entrepreneurship for poverty alleviation: the sepa program is designed to increase austin college student engagement in the local community and collaboration with local nonprofit agencies.
- environmental studies competitive internships: the center for environmental studies offers competitive summer internships with outstanding environmental organizations that each offer an opportunity to spend part of the summer with a small but nationally known organization that is a recognized leader in its field.
- center for southwestern and mexican studies: csms works individually with each student to make a placement that reflects student interests and abilities.
internships on handshake
handshake's career portal personalizes student's career recommendations, connecting them to local, national, and international companies. discover exciting new and relevant opportunities and connect with great companies and non-profits. find your dream job or internship by exploring hundreds of local and non-local organizations!